Thursday, May 6, 2010

What I'm learning as a mommy...

"Parenting is one of the hardest things a person can do but in exchange it teaches you the meaning of unconditional love." -I think I read this in a Nicholas Sparks book. I guess it stuck with me...

1. Parenting teaches you.

Being a parent has changed me in so many ways. I am a different person now than before I had babies. My awareness has expanded. My soul has become more selfless. My mind is challenged. My body tires easily. My patience is tested. My character is stretched. My needs aren't my own anymore. My wants aren't met but joy is real. My happiness is full. Being a parent, sounds dandy doesn't it?!?! Ha. Well, it is because, all in all, I appreciate the moments of growth. I appreciate having the chance to be a mother and to be a part of a family. I see these roles as gifts.

Parenting teaches me to view my role as a gift EVEN when it's full of endless amounts of dirty diapers, a messy highchair with food stuck in every little nook and cranny, whiny babies at 5 o'clock as your trying to put dinner in the oven, and the feeling of not being able to have any sort of control over time. My role is still a gift. I do however love those moments that just don't last long enough like watching Charlotte blow kisses after receiving a cookie from my Dear Abby friend (I'll elaborate more on her later), hearing Charlotte hum Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star all day long or seeing Brady smiling ear to ear for the first time after hearing my voice call out his name. These moments are love.

Parenting teaches you the meaning of  unconditional love because you have to change and grow when this new little life enters the world. This life needs guidance, love, and discipline. This life needs you without any conditions. You are it. You have been given a miracle of God and now you are to train and care for him/her as him/her changes and grows. You are taught how to be a parent, when parenting begins to teach you.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, Leah!! And know that the learning curve never ends...God still reveals things I need to know even through my adult children! Amazing Grace...that's what it is!
    And btw, you already have a blog list on the right side of your page here! I didn't realize you had it on there when I was trying to explain this! ;)

    ReplyDelete